Monday, June 15, 2009

Paint on canvas or on board?

Why are we going through the diffulty of painting on canvas if we can also paint on a board? Board seems to be ideal, less preparation, nice and straight, no sagging canvas issues, you can rest your hand on it while painting etc etc. The advantages of painting on board seem to be endless. Yesterday I was on a site from a company that makes canvas stretcher frames. They say that canvas is the best to paint on for archiving issues. A board deteriorates... can crack & rotten; where the paint would chip off.

I really would like not to keep myself busy stretching canvas and making my own frames or prepping a board and just buy ready made canvas, but the sizes are not interesting and the cost is too high. Maybe when I get successful I wouldn't have to worry with it and have the canvas stretcher frames custom made. Damn! I just want to paint and be creative!

1 comment:

  1. Dimitrios...like you I stretch my own canvas and create my own boards. I go through the same argument in my head. I really do enjoy making my supports but it's tempting to buy for convenience. The deal is that the size I want to paint is way too expensive to justify. So HomeDepot here I come.

    ReplyDelete