Saturday, June 13, 2009

Critics: "Why does the heart have holes?"


Some time ago I had some Dimitrios T-Shirts screen printed in the USA. I made this rather simple design. As is customary in my designs/art, I wanted it to be simple, a striking image and of iconic value that is easy to understand. I think I succeeded well. Then one day some guy asked why the heart has holes in them? I was surprised to hear that comment, I have actually never thought of it that way. I was slightly irritated in a way because I hate to hear comments in the nature of "Is this what you call art" etc... But on the other hand, it proved again that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or better rather - that we artists subject people to see things in different ways. Everyone lives in a different world, in his own bubble. In this guy's world, he saw the heart as one having holes. How do you see it?

No comments:

Post a Comment