Sunday, June 14, 2009

I am mad: Stretching my own canvas did not work out today

Yesterday the hardware store where I buy the wood for making the canvas stretcher bars closed before my nose.... Pissed.. Ok, no worries, I could always go to another hardware store the next day (Sunday) before 2pm. I went there today, I selected some wood of the few choices I had. The smallest pieces of wood was 1"x3" x 10ft rather thick to make canvas frame, but I had no choice. Back at home I measured everything and started to cut the angles with an electric miter saw that I bought not too long ago with the purposes of 1) saving money and 2) to have large and custom sized canvasses instead of paying exhorbitantly expensive ready made canvas from a local (French) store and pay in Euros en plus...

Got more mad. The electric miter saw does not cut my 45 degrees precise....grrrrrrr It looks good when all is cut, but when I want to assemble the upper part of the canvas looks good, but when i want to join the bottom piece (4th slat) it does not fit. It looks like each cut is like 1 degree off. Geeez and specifically bought this machine to finally do it right because I did have the same problems doing it by hand before. So here I am, super anxious to start a new work but have no stretched canvas.. I am so pissed. And next is I don't know the solution to get the angle right on the miter, al lthe adjustment are dialed in fine, it's the axle when you push the motor down that has play in it. Don't know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment