Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Older paintings in storage

The other day I was looking in my shack for a paint brush and some varnish. I came across some canvasses that where closely held together. I thought "hmm, interesting I have some more canvasses to paint on" But as a matter of fact, they already were painted, I had no idea - and did not even know what was painted on it. I checked, and indeed, some paintings I did a long time ago when I was living on the other side of the island. They are abstract paintings, I remember I did them on impulse and completely free hand, one-off. I remember the passion that went into it. The passion that some people are expecting to see in art. Curiously enough, when one day I was pitching my art pointing someone to check my website (to a so called art connoisseur) he thought my art (paintings) were lacking that passion and that this sort of paintings can only work in the USA. (I was pitching to someone in Belgium). I was a bit taken aback by their statement. Actually when I pitched my art to galleries in Bruges, Belgium and in art galleries in Knokke-Le Zoute (I was there on vacation) I would here the same thing. (I am always kind of pissed when I get back out from those galleries. Yes, I understand they have a business to run, expenses, marketing, shows etc, and they want to be somehow sure of the 'product' they have. But none of the galleries would even entertain the idea of me proposing to do even some sort of joint venture (read: share upfront costs of marketing). Anyway, back to the 'missing soul' in my works. I know what they are referring to: no shades, no highlights to create depth or 3 dimension. No visual brushstrokes, no paint splashes and no suggestive topic... Well yeah, that is my art. Representational, iconic, pop art. I like what I do, I like my style. When I have my camera handy, I'll take a picture from them. I think I remember that I did not want to expose those paintings as they have a completely different style than what I currently do and did not want to be known for that. I thought then that you 'have to work on a style' another starving artist myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment